Sunday, December 28, 2008

Roma!

Haven't had much access to the internet since landing in London on December 19. Since then I have spent Christmas in Calabria and then I literally just set foot in Rome 15 minutes ago!

This may sound crazy but my favorite place in Rome just might be Roma Termini train station. You know you've arrived when you get off the train and see the hustle and bustle of Italians in action.  The layout is exciting and to me it's the heartbeat of the city. 

I'll give you a quick recap of how lovely Italy is in every single way. My boyfriend and I flew from London to Rome, had a quick dinner at his brother's house, and then hopped on a night train to Calabria. We had to change trains in Lamezia and upon arrival my boyfriend asked me if I would like a quick "colazione" or breakfast. We popped into the bar below the train station where the smell of espresso and "cornetti" was heavenly. We each had a perfectly made espresso and a chocolate cornetto (croissant) all for under 5 euro. Even at a train station at 5 in the morning Italians don't settle for anything less.

When we arrived at my boyfriends house, La Mamma had magically timed stovetop espresso to be ready right as we walked in. Breakfast #2 was another espresso, some amaretto cookies, FRESHLY baked that morning panettone, and pear juice. Already I was spoiled.

Then we showered, put our clothes in the bureau and I went downstairs while my bf took a quick nap. The fresh ricotta delivery arrived ( I know!) and my bf's brother went out with a huge pot so the lady could scoop some fresh, steaming hot ricotta in it. 

His brother then said I had to have some fresh ricotta with some sourdough bread for breakfast. This would constitute breakfast #3. The ricotta was sooooo creamy and tasted soooo rich and delicious. Obviously I didn't say I had already had breakfast an hour earlier. I knew I would be in trouble when lunchtime came around at noon.

Only in Italy does a little old lady come to the door with ricotta cheese she made that morning from her sheep at HER farm. I love this country.

1 comment:

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Wonderful holiday post! I'm in Calabria too...now if only I could convince someone to make *me* a freshly baked panettone in the morning....

Buone feste!